Earth Science Discovery
Similar to the popular Marine Discovery program, students will participate in a series of hands-on activities exploring Earth's "Critical Zone" led by UA students. Stations will explore earth science concepts like the rock cycle, the water cycle and the carbon cycle. Activities will align with AZ State and Next Generation Science Standards.
- Rock Cycle Station: Students will explore the rock cycle as they create their very own igneous rock out of Starburst.
- Soil Station: Students will texture different soil types and identify soils by different characteristics.
- Microbes Station: Students will learn about the importance of microbes in our daily lives and identify live specimens.
- Water Station: Students will learn about the water cycle and how water erodes land overtime.
- Critical Zone Station: Students will create their own critical zone in a cup exploring the layers of the earth that support life.
Audience: 3rd - 6th grade
Group Size: 10 - 30 students
Offered: Fall Semester Tuesday and Thursdays; Spring Semester Wednesday and Friday
Start Time: 9:15am
Duration: 2 hours
- Students: $5.00 each
- Teachers: Free
- Chaperones: Up to 5 free chaperones; Additional chaperones $5.00 each
- Free field trips available to Title I Schools
We welcome homeschool groups! 1 lead parent/teacher and 5 chaperones per group is free. Additional adults will be charged for admission beyond the 5 for the workshop. Please Note: Due to room capacity in the Discovery Labs, your chaperones will be limited to only 5 in the room at a time.
Science Center Exhibits:
$2.00 per person
$3.00 per person
To request a Earth Science Discovery Workshop, please fill out the request form
All Discovery Programs require a Request Form Submission; Please note that this is a request form only. Confirmation of your requested Discovery Program is dependent on availability. Flandrau staff will contact you in 2-3 days to confirm scheduling of your Discovery Program.