Become a Volunteer!
UA Science: Flandrau is looking for people who are interested in science and want to share their excitement, knowledge, and skills. Get involved by becoming a science center volunteer! We have a variety of volunteer opportunities both behind the scenes and working with the public. Our volunteers come from a variety of backgrounds and we offer regular training opportunities so a background in science is not required.
Here are some of the benefits of volunteering at UA Science: Flandrau:
- Share your interest in and excitement about science with the public.
- Volunteers have opportunities to learn about history, astronomy, biology, physics, optics, and many other fields.
- Comprehensive orientation and general trainig sessions plus specialized training for specific volunteer jobs.
- Learn how science centers operate behind-the-scenes.
- Meet other volunteers who share similar interests.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements?
- Most volunteer positions have minimum time commitments. Generally 3-10 hours per month for a year.
- Set a regularly scheduled time to volunteer
- Completion of orientation, training, and all forms
What do I need to know about science?
Our volunteers have a wide range of backgrounds, knowledge and interest. Our volunteers all share a curiosity for science and the mysteries of nature. There are a variety of positions for many levels of expertise and interest and all volunteers participate in training and orientations. Volunteer opportunities can be customized to fit your schedule.
How do I find the best volunteer match for me?
You will attend a volunteer information meeting and work with science center staff to match your skills, interest and talents with the wide array of science center needs.
Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer needs to fill out a volunteer information form. This form is availble to complete online, to download and print (as a .pdf) or at the front desk at the science center. After you complete and submit the volunteer information sheet you will be contacted and invited to attend a volunteer information meeting. You will get to meet other people interested in volunteering, find out more about the volunteer program, and talk with staff about volunteer opportunities and discuss the best fit between the science center’s needs and your interest and availability.
Scheduling your volunteer orientation and/or training will occur after you have accepted a volunteer position. We will contact you to make these arrangements.
Download the information form here (.pdf)